Honestly, I’m not sure how many of you even knew I had a boyfriend. He’s a very private guy and I didn’t blog about him here out of respect for his privacy. And I’m not really blogging about him now. This post isn’t about our relationship, or even our break-up. But you have to know he existed to understand the rest of the post. We dated from December 30, 2011 – May 31, 2012. During that time, I didn’t date anyone else, so I was off the market.
I’ve been single again for about a week and it already sucks.
I’m a strong believer in the power of online dating. You can meet so many people this way. Of course, there’s a downside, too. As you can also meet plenty of creepers this way.
My status has been changed back to “single” for a little over a week and I’ve already:
- Been stood up. He changed plans on me at the last minute and I had a bad feeling. But I persisted and went to meet him at the new location. Texted him. Waited. Texted him. Waited. Texted him. Left. Haven’t heard a peep out of him. I don’t expect to.
- Blocked someone. A total creeper became enamored with me after we exchanged a handful of “Hi, how are you,” type emails. He sent me over a dozen messages in less than 12 hours that became increasingly odd and disconnected with reality. When I finally asked him to stop contacting me, he called me a “tease” and “just like all the rest”. I don’t think I’m the first “lucky” woman to receive this man’s attentions. I’m sure I won’t be the last, as he’s destined to stay single for some time.
- Had a few guys flake on me. This isn’t exactly the same as getting stood up. To get stood up, you must have concrete plans for a date. These guys were more like “pre-date” situations. We had agreed on a day of the week to get together, but never finalized plans. Neither followed up with any details. Both claimed work as the culprit, but I’m starting to get strong “he’s just not that into you” vibes.
- Been propositioned by men already in a relationship. One wife and two girlfriends are with really crummy guys. Sorry, ladies.
- Sent and received countless emails. Sometimes things seem to be going well and the guy just up and disappears. Some guys love to chat but have no intention of ever meeting you in person. Some guys have impossible schedules. Some guys just aren’t for me. C’est la vie.
- Had a good first date. Yep. I can hardly believe it myself and I was there. It was just coffee, but I liked him and he seemed to like me. It’s too soon to get excited about this, but I did have one date that went well. I guess things aren’t all bad.